Thursday, June 24, 2010

Baby Field Mice

Yesterday I brought two orphaned baby field mice to the local wildlife rescue center. They were so tiny, only a week old when I found them at work, stuck in a tarp on the top of one of our greenhouses. Their eyes and ears have yet to open and they walk all wobbly on their tiny feeble legs. I had spent five days caring for them. Feeding them milk from a dropper, massaging their bellies with cottons swabs so that they could digest and poop. They were the cutest little things. But after five days, they proved too much for me to handle. I cared for them well, but did not feel capable of continueing to replace a mama mouse. Now they are being cared for by people better prepared than I, and they will be released into the wild when they reach maturity. For anyone who finds an orphaned or injured wild animal and finds themselves unable to care for it, call up your local wildlife rescue center or bring them to one. You may not even know that their is a wildlife rescue center nearby, but their probably is.
The staff at the wildlife center was pleased with the way I cared for the baby nice and asked me to apply to work as a volunteer there. A four hour shift once a week. I very well may apply to volunteer there on my day off from work. I love animals, and it is greatly rewarding to care for them. Plus, it would be a great learning opportunity.

Music of the afternoon: Devil Makes Three (Thanks to Nat for turning me onto this sweet band)

No comments:

Post a Comment