Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Organic Farming


Yesterday I spent 9 hours working at the organic farm to which I am an intern this summer.
I can tell it is going to be a great experience.
Working outside, playing in the dirt, the smell of tomato plants.
The feeling of working at a useful project, the growing and tending to vegetation, is a rewarding experience.
Last summer, when I maintained a large vegetable garden at my home, there was no better feeling than walking to the house with a large tub of grape tomatoes or squash or peas that I had grown from seed or seedling. Watching the tiny plants fulfill their destinies, from seed to flower to fruit, helps me to appreciate the seasons of life.
I want to learn as much from this internship as possible.
Owning and operating my own organic farm in the future has become a accessible goal of mine, and I will work with dedication toward this goal. Most other aspects of my life are up in the air right now, where I will live after college, graduate school immediately or later, the day to day tasks, but mark my words I will have an organic farm. There will be fields of ripening vegetables, possibly some fruit trees, goats, sheep, chicken, ducks and rabbits roaming about. There will be a border collie and a blue heeler and probably too many cats to count. I will be surrounded by life and I will care for it and it will care for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment